1. Is there any licence to manufacture, sale or repair weights and measures ?
- Yes, the Department issues licence to the manufacturer, dealer and repairer of weights &measures for dealing in weighing & measuring instruments, the licence is a must.
2. How can consumer ensure that any weight & measure is standard or not?
- Every weight &measures is manufactured as per the specification and model laid down by the Govt. of India. Weight & measures used by the traders are verified & stamped by the Inspector of the Legal Metrology Department, after due verification, with a seal for ensuring the integrity of the stamp of Inspector and quarter in which it is verified.
3. Who is the competent authority to grant licence?
- Controller of Legal Metrology Department is the competent authority to grant the licence. Application for licence should be submitted to the Inspector of Legal metrology who will inspect the firm and forward the same to Controller of Legal Metrology with recommendation for consideration.
4. Who is packer ?
- Any person or a firm, which pre-packs any commodity whether in a bottle, tin, wrapper or otherwise in units suitable for sale, is a Packer. Packers need to get themselves registered with this Department.
5. What is pre-packed commodity?
- Any commodity which, is placed in a package without the purchaser being present, of whatever nature, whether sealed or not, so that the product contained therein has a pre-determined quantity is a pre-packed commodity.
6. Can a dealer charge legally more than the maximum retail price mentioned on the package?
- No, overcharging is an offence for which the trader can be prosecuted.
7. What is calibration?
- Means all the operations which are necessary for the purpose of determining the value of errors of a weight or measures and if necessary Verification and stamping of the capacity of the Vehicle Tank or its compartment or any equipment is called Calibration to determine the other Metrological properties of such weight or measures, also includes the actual fixing of the position of a gauge marks or scale marks may also be carried out with a view to permitting the use of weight or measures as a standard.